Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Footprints on my Heart


Dust encircles the footprints left behind on the roads of Mezcales, Mexico. Thin air allows the scents of livestock, stucco, and sewage to wander.  A colauge of debris grows wherever it was last left. Lining the soggy, uneven roads are the homes of people living as though they are standing still. Despite the surrounding filth and poverty, I left behind in Mexico some of the most beautiful sights ever created: the faces of Mezcales I came to know. The sight of children in the streets made my heart soar, I was excited to meet them, while the sound of their laughter made me want to dance, I was going to share God's love with them .
For three days I lived where they live and played where they play. While immersed in living where they live, we shared also in their fun. A soccer field on the edge of town was the place to be for jubilee and laughter.  With objects such as a baby doll, a kitten, the Sunday bell, or a ball the imaginations of the kids ran wild. Love was shared in many moments with flannel graph stories, pet frog rocks, silent skits, pictures, and treats.
Without words our love was shared. Hugs, “pony” rides, and tears from laughter abounded in every direction one looked. The world came alive with colors of children sprinkling their confetti and joy. With music, the barriers of language were crossed and a common ground was found. Dancing, laughing, singing, and shouting, the sounds were a joy to any ear. At the end of each day the dissapointment was seen on the faces of those saying good-bye till tomorrow. Each child filled with anticipation for the next day when they could be with their, “maestros,” again. Not many could describe the love that was shown without words and through actions in the streets of Mezcales.
Love is universal. It is shared beyond what words are able to describe. If one could catch every tear that fell from the eyes of those saying farewell on the last day, one could start a light drizzle of rain in the skies of Mexico. On my cheeks are stained the tears I cried and the kisses from the little treasures I left behind. On my heart each name is inscribed. Over and over the words, “te amo” reached my ears and still ring. “I love you, I love you,” is what was proclaimed, “Because God first loved me and sent me to show His love to you.”
In the dusty streets of Mezcales, many little feet walk. God sees each footprint made in the ground and each tear that drops from each eye. He holds each little hand, calling their souls to Himself. Not every one will run to Him, not every one will see. But love has been proclaimed and the God who intricately created each child  knows each little heart He wove together. My prayer remains that someday their feet will run straight into the arms of love.