Thursday, December 9, 2010

There is Power in His Name

Nancy Lee was a true woman of faith, a faith that showed itself not only in her words but also in her actions. Her confidence in God was reflected in what she treasured, in what she did to invest in my life, and in the devotion she had for her Savior.

My grandma Nancy lived for her family and treasured her friendships. One of her common sayings was, “I am a very 'wealthy' woman,” in reference to the people she valued in her life. Although she had no biological grandchildren, her house was filled with pictures of her “grandchildren”, each one loved and valued. Undoubtedly, my adopted grandma's talent was for keeping people together; she was often referred to as the “glue” of my family and her companions. Her home was the location for many family events. While we were at her home, “Eat to your heart's content” was a common phrase heard from her lips. For example, a large glass jar of gummy bears, among other treats, was never absent from her home to share with her family.

Nancy showed her love to me by not only giving, but also in listening and sharing. Being a confidante, a source of comfort, and a storehouse of wisdom, my Grandma Nancy was someone I looked up to. I could talk to my grandma about anything because she was always ready to listen to my worries and to encourage me with words of wisdom in my education, music, and spiritual life. I always felt accepted by my loving grandma. When I felt ugly, she told me, “You are beautiful”; when I felt like a failure, she would say, “You are talented.” In addition, the words, “You are loved” were not only what she said, but also what she showed in her actions. For instance, we used to send each other e-mails in which I would tell her what was new in my life and she would reply with words of encouragement. We also had a monthly “girls' day.” On that special day of the month we would load into her old car and do anything from going out to a movie, to visiting the Germans historical museum to explore our heritage. I remember our outings with fondness. However, my most cherished memories are of the times in her car, commuting from place to place. In her car she would share stories of her life and give me advice for the moments in mine. She loved retelling memories, as well as acquiring new ones. “We are making memories,” was one of her favorite sayings.

Nancy Lee was a woman of powerful faith in God. In a lot of ways, her faith was the result of deep-cutting hardships she experienced in her life. While still a young woman, she lost her husband to a long battle of cancer, and the following year, she lived through the nightmare of her son's surfing accident that led to paralysis and the loss of his legs. God was her solid ground, passion and desire throughout her whole life, especially through the trials. My grandma's admiration for God was displayed in her everyday life and in her words. The phrase she said the most still sticks with me today, “There is power in His [Jesus'] name.” My adored grandmother was a woman who truly knew the power of relying on God.

I treasure the memories I had with my Grandma Nancy. I looked up to her, not only because she loved all and loved deeply, but also because of the powerful faith she had in God. Grandma Nancy is now with her Savior, her stronghold in eternity. I am no longer able to go to her home to open the jar of gummy bears as we chat about life, or sit in her car listening to her stories. I miss her. I miss being able to ask her about anything and talk to her about everything. But, I am inspired by her to excel in everything I do because she believed that I could. As a true woman of faith, Grandma Nancy was my role model and I will never forget her life changing words, “There is power in His name.”