Thursday, December 9, 2010

Children of Mexico

Lately I have been remembering some precious faces I met back in Mexico last winter. Kevin, David, Viki, Tono and Manuel are orphans of Mexico.  I met these little ones on two different missions trips to Mexico. The children I met in the orphanage we served at are each created by God, known by  Him, and seen by Him.  I know they are in His hands.  


Kevin

Kevin is a boy who loves to cuddle and be held.  He  always  seems  to be in deep thought about things.  He would  hold my ear whenever he was near me, as if he was making sure I was there.   A boy of few words, his sweet smile says it all.

  


David
 
David is a strong personality.  He feels things with intensity.  When he is upset he fights, when he is happy he laughs loud, and when he loves someone he loves hard.   David is missing three of his fingers on one of his hands.  He liked to place his hands in mine, weaving his fingers in between my fingers, holding on tight. 



Viki

Viki is a blue-eyed beauty.  Her eyes sparkle and laugh  and her smile is contagious.  A little chatter box, she loved to tell me  all the names of the animals in Spanish. It was a game we played, I would make an animal sound and she would tell me the name.  Most of her teeth have rotted and blackened, but this does not dull the sweetness in her smile. In pink, butterflies, and a ponytail, Viki is a little doll.



Tono

Tono is a boy with a tender heart, intelligent mind, adventurous spirit, and curious nature.  Tono loved to show me around the orphanage grounds, play games, and teach me Spanish words.  He also desired to learn some English words.  It gave him great pleasure to say my name,"Alejandra" over and over, at times, singing it to himself.




Manuel
Manuel holds a very special place in my heart.   Manuel is all boy with toy cars, a spider man shirt, wrestling, making silly faces, and pretending to be a scary monster.  He is also very loving, wanting to be held and loved.  The most heart-melting moments in my life have been when he would wrap his little arms around my neck and hold on tight.  Additionally one of the most heart-breaking moments of my life was when I had to say good-bye to him after my first trip to the orphanage.  Just before leaving, I held him for a long time as he lay his head on my shoulder, while tears streamed down his precious face.  I am unsure which of us had more tears that day.  He kissed my cheek over and over calling me his "mama."  Manuel has a "Papa celestial" who will always be there with him.